Capital Gains Tax

Whenever you dispose of an asset that has increased in value, you will be charged tax on the profit. This is calculated by determining the difference between the amount you paid for the property and what you made when it eventually sold.

Which Properties Incur Capital Gains Tax?

The only tax-free property transaction in the UK is your ‘principal private dwelling’, which is free from Capital Gains Tax (CGT). All other property sales incur CGT. That includes buy-to-let properties, commercial premises, and even properties that are put into and then taken out of trusts.

Assessing Capital Gains

Normally, there is a straightforward way of assessing the capital gain, simply comparing the original purchase price to the final sale price. However, as in the case of property coming in and out of trusts, sometimes there are events that trigger CGT without an actual sale happening. Often there is a need for valuations of a property at dates in the past.

Here at Commercial Surveyors Direct, we have Inland Revenue trained chartered surveyors who can help provide all the valuations you require. Our extensive historic databases can provide the evidence to back up our valuations so that the Inland Revenue will accept them.

It is important to remember that both individuals and entities are liable to pay a Capital Gains Tax.

Contact Us

If you require a Commercial Valuation for CGT purposes, please contact us by telephone on 0808 169 8881 or via email using 

On the other hand, if you would like to learn more about our wide range of services, simply visit the links below:

  • Reinstatements Costs
  • Schedule of Conditions
  • Commercial Valuations (Probate, Charities Act, SIPPS/SASS, etc)

Regardless of the service you require, our team would be more than happy to discuss your individual circumstances and provide our expert and impartial advice.

Alternatively, you can find us on Social Media using the following platforms: